Be aware of unrecognized groups.
WARNING: Some organizations that were once recognized fraternities or sororities on campus continue to operate underground despite having lost recognition from the University.
These organizations have had their recognition revoked by the institution for various reasons, including such things as hazing, alcohol and drug abuse, risk management violations, and failure to comply with University policies and expectations. These organizations have in almost all cases also had their charter suspended by their international organization because they were not upholding fraternal values and were engaging in risky behaviors that endangered the members and other students. The following groups have lost recognition in the past five years:
- Zeta Phi Beta Sorority (suspended through 2017; charter suspended by National)
- Delta Chi Fraternity (suspended through 2019; charter suspended by National)
- Lambda Phi Epsilon (suspended through 2019; charter suspended by National)
- Tau Kappa Epsilon (suspended to Fall 2020; charter suspended by National)
- Omega Psi Phi Fraternity (suspended through 2020; charter suspended by National)
- Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. (suspended to Fall 2021; charter suspended by National)
- Kappa Sigma Fraternity (suspended through 2022; charter suspended by National)
- Sigma Beta Rho Fraternity (suspended indefinitely by National)
- Delta Tau Delta (suspended by National – no date specified)